Academic Career Progression
|2013-||Assistant Professor, Department of Management, London School of Economics and Political Sciences (LSE).|
|2004-||Lecturer, Department of Information Systems, London School of Economics and Political Sciences (LSE).|
|2003-2004||Teaching Fellow, Department of Information Systems, London School of Economics and Political Sciences (LSE).|
|2001- 2003||Research Officer (C-SanD Project), Department of Information Systems, London School of Economics and Political Sciences (LSE).|
|1998- 2004||Ph.D. in Information Systems, Information Systems Institute, University of Salford. Supervisor: Professor J.R.G. Wood. “The Introduction of Knowledge Management Technology within the British Council: An Action Research Study”. (Awarded July 2004)|
|1993-1996||B.Sc. (First class honours) in Computer Science, University of Manchester, UK.|
- EPSRC Programme Grant: Interface reasoning for interacting systems (IRIS) (£6,146,075). http://gow.epsrc.ac.uk/NGBOViewGrant.aspx?GrantRef=EP/R006865/1 (Co-investigator)
- Huawei HIRP Open: (£113,000): Researching Huawei’s Digital Innovation Platform (Co-PI).
- EPSRC: Delivering Digital Drugs (£694,954) ;http://gow.epsrc.ac.uk/NGBOViewGrant.aspx?GrantRef=EP/L021188/1 (Co-investigator)
- EPSRC Creativity Greenhouse – SeRTES (£199,705) http://gow.epsrc.ac.uk/NGBOViewGrant.aspx?GrantRef=EP/J021601/1 (Co-investigator)
- RIN Physical Science Information Practices (RIN-PSIP) . (£19,200)(Co-Principle investigator)
- Evaluation of the electronic prescription service in primary care (NHS CFHEP)(Co-investigator)
- EPSRC: Pegasus: Particle-physics Engagement with the Grid: A Socio-technical Usability Study (£236,000). http://gow.epsrc.ac.uk/NGBOViewGrant.aspx?GrantRef=EP/D049954/1 (Principle-investigator)
- EPSRC: Creating, Sustaining & Disseminating Knowledge For Sustainable Construction: Tools, Methods & Architectures (£178,852) :http://gow.epsrc.ac.uk/NGBOViewGrant.aspx?GrantRef=GR/R20564/01 (Co-investigator)
- British Council Sponsorship of PhD, University of Salford (all fees plus full stipend)
- Active Intranet Plc sponsorship of PhD research activity (sponsorship)
Honours and Prizes
- Excellent in Education award (2019-20), LSE.
- Education Excellence award for “outstanding contribution to teaching” (Led to salary increase) (2016).
- £3000 Teaching and Learning Centre development Fund award for ReachoutResearch Initiative (2014).
- Nomination for the LSE Teaching Excellence Award 2010.
- Major Review Teaching Prize, London School of Economics, 2008.
- Fellow of the RSA – Royal Society for the Arts, Manufacturing, and Technology (FRSA).
- Competitive scholarship from the British Council for Ph.D. (all fees plus full stipend)
- Competitive sponsorship from ICL for BSc
- MG213: Information Systems – Core course in BS.c. Management with around 150 students. I wrote the course and sole lecturer.
- MG481: Innovating Organisational Information Systems – Core course on MS.c. Management, Information Systems and Digital Innovation. I led the development of the sprint week within this course. Click here for a student’s perspective on this innovation.
- Jointly developing and lecturing the ADMIS M.Sc. course on Knowledge, Organisations and Technology.
- Commissioned to write a Subject Guide on Software Engineering for the University of London’s External Programme.
- Supervisor for postgraduate students’ dissertations for the MISDI
- Chief examiner for the Software Engineering course of the B.Sc. Information Systems and Management degree within the University of London’s international programme programme – a distance learning programme.
- Examiner for the Information systems of the B.Sc. Information Systems and Management degree within the University of London’s external programme.
Additional Academic Activities
- PhD Examiner, Cambridge University, Birkbeck University, Athens University of Economics and Business, Manchester University, London School of Economics (as internal examiner).
- Associate Editor for Information Technology and People (ITP).
- Associate Editor for the Journal of Information Technology (JIT).
- Associate Editor for Information Systems Journal (ISJ) special issue on Contextualizing digital innovation in today’s China (2019)
- Associate Editor for the Special Issue of JMIS on the Transformative Value of Cloud Computing (2018).
- Member of the Programme Committee for IFIP 8.2, 2018.
- Member of the Programme Committee for 4th Innovation in Information Infrastructures (III) workshop 2015
- Member of the Programme Committee for IFIP TC9 – HCC: Human Choice and Computers Conference 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020
- Guest Editor for Special Issue of Knowledge Management Research & Practice, (2009).
- Member of the Programme Committee for UKAIS 2007 Conference, Manchester.
- Member of the Programme Committee for 5th International Conference on e-Social Science, Cologne.
- Joint Founder and Faculty Editor for iSChannel, a journal on the social study of Information Systems, produced, edited and double-blind reviewed by the students of the Information Systems Group. ISSN 2042-5678 (print)
- Associate Editor for International Conference on Information Systems: (ICIS) 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019, 2020.
- Associate Editor for ECIS 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019.
- Reviewer for Journals:
- California Management Review
- European Journal of Information Systems
- Journal of Management Studies
- Journal of Management Information Systems (si)
- Journal of Strategic Information Systems
- Journal of Information Technology
- Information and Organisation
- Information Technology and People
- Information Systems Journal
- Information Systems Research
- Learning Organisation
- MIS Quarterly
- Management and Organisation
- Organization Studies
- Scandinavian Journal of Information System
- Member of AIS, IFIP 8.2, IFIP 9.5.
- Former Member of the NHS Medicines Information Reference Group.
- Warden of Sidney Webb House Hall of Residence, LSE (2005-2010).
- Internal Academic Reviewer for a University of London External Programme Subject Guide (2005, 2015,2017).
- Independent reviewer for NWO -Nederlandse Organisatie voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek (2014).
- External Reviewer for Hong Kong research grants council (2006).
Policy activity and Voluntary work
(2006-2011) Member of the board of Trustees of www.YouthNet.org , a registered online charity aimed at creating “a socially inclusive environment” by delivering high-quality information, signposting and frontline emotional support primarily through the internet, but increasingly through mobile phones, digital interactive TV and hand-held devices. The organisation maintained two leading websites www.thesite.org providing advice to young people, and www.do-it.org.uk the UK’s only national database of volunteering opportunities. The organisation employed around 35 people and had an annual turnover of around £3 million. I was also a member of the www.TheSite.org Advisory Group within YouthNet. I resigned to to family commitments.
(2005) Member of the UK Government’s Russell Commission on Youth Volunteering http://archive.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/russellcommission/report/index.html (Independent advisory group) within the Home Office (Note that this was the main body of commission as the commission itself only consisted of Ian Russell). The Government has allocated £ 50 million over three years to support the implementation of the Commission’s recommendations and, with matched contributions and sponsorship, led to £150million being spent on the Youth Volunteering recommendations of the commission.
(1999-2005) Chairman of the board of directors of Student Volunteering England www.StudentVolunteering.org.uk: This is a registered national charity to promote voluntary work among Higher Education and Further Education students. Elected chairman in 2002 after three years on the board of directors and extensive previous involvement in student community action and voluntary work. Responsible for major management issues such as CEO recruitment; redundancy; line management of the CEO; representing the organisation to the media, at conferences and events.
Organisations I have worked with include (among others):
- American Express,
- The British Council,
- Cambridge University Executive Education,
- Chinese Construction Bank (CCB),
- Danish Government,
- European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (EBRD),
- Fundación Ramón Areces,
- The Future Factory,
- Red Consultancy,
- Roland Berger,
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University,
Invited Lectures and Presentations.
- Invited international delegate to Kondrad-Adenauer-Foundation Program on Artificial Intelligence (2019).
- Invited Speaker: Henley business School (2019).
- Invited Speaker: European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (2018)
- Invited Speaker: Loughborough University (2017)
- Invited Speaker: Warwick University WMG (2017)
- Invited Speaker: DEN LIVE (2017)
- Invited Keynote: WorkFusion Summit (2017)
- Invited Keynote: Innovation event for Roland-Berger, Berlin (2017).
- Invited Keynote: Ignite Summit – Nimbus Ninety (2017)
- Invited Speaker: LEAD University, Costa Rica (2017)
- Invited Speaker, “Artificial Intelligence for Enterprise” conference (2016)
- Invited Speaker, Digital Catapult Centre, London (2016)
- Invited Lecture, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway (2016)
- Invited Lecture, Canterbury Christ Church University (2016)
- Invited Headline Speaker Cloud Expo Europe (2016)
- Invited Speaker AI Summit (2016)
- Invited panel chair at IoT Tech Expo (2016)
- Invited “Thought-Leadership” talk BT staff worldwide, Ipswich (and globally via videolink) (2015)
- Invited Lecture, AUEB, Athens (2015)
- Keynote Presentation, Cloud Computing Conference, Athens (2015)
- Invited Lecture, University of Manchester Computer Science Department (2014)
- Invited Expert for Intel Breakfast Roundtable (2014)
- Invited Lecture, Loughborough University, (2014)
- Invited Lecture, Cage Summer School, Venice (2014)
- Keynote Presentation, KnowledgePeers conference, London, (2014)
- Invited Talk, Cloud Expo Europe, London (2014)
- Invited Talk, iMMGroup Cloud and Virtualisation Conference (2013)
- Invited Lecture, Exeter Business School (2013)
- Invited Lecture, ITOSA, Stockholm Sweden (2013)
- Invited Expert for Dell think-tank (2012)
- Invited Lecture, University of Oslo, Norway (2012)
- Invited Talk, InnoZ, Berlin (2012)
- Invited Talk, HR4ICT Cloud Talk, (2012)
- Invited Talk, GovNet Event (2012)
- Invited Talk, BrightTalk (2012)
- Invited Lecture, Warwick WMG, (2012)
- Invited Lecture, High-level Danish Government Deligation, London (2011).
- HfS Research Webinar (2011).
- ITSMA Seminar, Cloud Computing (2010)
- Invited lecture, Leeds University. (2010).
- Invited workshop participant, UK/Korea eScience Workshop, Seoul (2010).
- Invited lecture, GridPP Collaboration meeting, RHUL (2010).
- Invited lecture, GridPP Collaboration meeting, UCL (2009).
- Invited lecture, Manchester Business School (2008).
- Invited lecture, Louisiana State University, USA – Centre for Computation and Technology (2008).
- Invited lecture, Oxford University – Oxford Internet Institute (2007).
- Invited lecture, University of Salford (2007).
- Invited seminar, University College London (2007).
- Invited lecture, 16th GridPP collaboration meeting, QMUL (2006).
- Invited lecture, University of Manchester (2004).
- Invited lecture, Information Systems Institute, University of Salford (2004).
- Invited panel chair in plenary at Second Annual Higher Education and Community Partnership Conference (2003).
- Invited lecture, University of Hull Business School (2003).
- Presentation at the 2003 SSIT (Social Study of IT) workshop, London School of Economics.